Yesterday was a bad day. It reminded me of Alexander. Remember him?
I just couldn’t get traction on any of my projects. I was unfocused. I was in a bit of a mood. I was so out of sorts that I started looking for an explanation. And I landed on the day before.
The day before yesterday I had been really busy. I did not eat well (there may have been potato chips involved). I had not had enough water. I had been out in the evening (there may have been cocktails involved). I didn’t get to bed until way past my bedtime resulting in a couple of hours of less sleep than I normally get.
When I reflected on my choices the day before it was no surprise that I was out of sorts. I decided the only thing I could do was to make sure that I used what energy I did have to make good choices for today.
Learn from me!
Here are 5 things you can do today to make tomorrow a good day:
1. Make sure you get enough sleep. Last night I went to bed early. I did all the things I know to make sure I sleep well. Studies have shown how vital sleep is to our well being.
2. Drink lots of water. Being dehydrated can make you feel tired. It can also cause headaches and other disturbances. Keep hydrated.
3. Eat healthy foods. When you are tired and unmotivated it is easy to reach for junk food. It won’t make you feel better today or tomorrow.
4. Reflect on the choices you made yesterday. Did you eat poorly? Are you sleep deprived? Dehydrated? Hung over? Associating your physical and emotional state today with choices you made the day before is a great motivator for making better choices.
5. Give yourself a break. If today isn’t a great day and you are feeling unproductive and uninspired - take it easy. Do things that will help you feel better tomorrow. Drink lots of water. Eat healthy. Go to bed early. Journal. Feeling guilty or telling yourself you are a failure does not help. Trust me on this one.
I recently taught a course on goal setting. In it I talk about rituals and habits. Making choices today that will make your tomorrow better is essential to achieving your goals. If you want to access the course you can find it here. Get started creating a better tomorrow.