I am a dreamer. I know I am. I think it goes hand in hand with being a learner. I feel like my horizons are continually expanding and there are new lands and ideas calling me to explore them. This year has been such an incredible year for me. It's been a year of growth. In fact, I would say this has been one of the most significant years in my life.
It's weird because at the same time it's been the worst year I have ever had in my business. In fact, I find myself at a crossroads in terms of vocation or the work I am doing. I do think that it is part of this transformation I have been going through. When you start really making shifts in your life you find yourself at odds with what was.
I always begin the year by choosing a word. This year it was OPEN. I'll be sharing more about the word selection process in an upcoming blog post. My desire was to hold a posture of being 'open' to what I felt was calling in my life. I know it sounds a little woo woo or esoteric. And it is hard to articulate it.
So I've seen these things happened in my life as I have become more OPEN:
- I stopped a bunch of stuff including stepping down as President of the business I co-owned with 3 other colleagues, going to church, and spending time with people who exhaust me
- I started seeing a therapist to deal with lingering health anxiety
- I went to NYC - very spontaneously with a friend
- I went to Cuba to read many books and drink many Mojitos
- I went to Ireland/England/The Netherlands with my sister (the funniest person I know) and I am still laughing
- I went on a retreat with my podcast co-host and we sort of wrote a book
- I came face to face with my apathy towards reconcilation and began a project to educate myself and become more involved in understanding and supporting the ongoing challenges facing the Indigenous Peoples of Canada
- I joined an environmentalist discussion group
- I discovered the Quakers - and hallelujah they aren't worried about people going to church!
- I joined the committee that organizes Steel City Stories (a local story telling group)
- I connected with some new people who seem to be on the same track as I am
- I decided to return to Cambodia to do an evaluation of the program I started there 3 years ago with a colleague
It's been a crazy year. It's flying by. This week, I've set aside 3 days to do a deep dive into 2018. I've got some dreams and I've got some needs. I've got some ideas around my business and where I want to focus next.
How about you? Do you have dreams for the future? Are you not sure how to achieve them? Are you lacking confidence or support? I'd love to talk to you about what would help you move forward in your life. Send me an email - let's dream together.